"Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful..." when you're cuddling up with an inspiring movie! Here are our top 7 films that inspired us to travel, plus 10 cinema classics to get you all revved up for a flight to who knows where. Enjoy.
- Chef, 2014: What better way to explore the world than by eating? Chef takes us on a road trip around America, stopping in New Orleans and Florida for a taste of the south and it's culinary love affair with Cuba. || #foodie #roadtrip
- The Hundred-Foot Journey, 2014: The film follows the talented young Indian chef from Mumbai to rural France, giving the viewer an inside view of French village culture. If not for the plot, watch for the actors and gorgeous scenery. We give it five stars. || #foodie #france
- Jiro Dreams of Sushi, 2011: Sushi lovers only! This documentary is a wonderful way to watch how Japanese culture influences its people in everything they do. || #foodie #culture #japan
- Palo Alto, 2014: This is what it's like to go to high school in America. Although the story follows an extreme case of pedophilia, much of the suburban California scenery is a spot on homage to America's darker side. || #america #millennials
- Good Bye Lenin!, 2003: It's in German, but don't let the subtitles scare you away from this classic film about culture shock, family values, and Germany after the fall of the Berlin Wall. || #germany
- Little Miss Sunshine, 2006: An American movie at its finest. A children's beauty pageant, a clueless teenager, and a really messy road trip. || #america #roadtrip #family
- The Darjeeling Limited, 2007: Quirky, vivid, and heart-throbbing are only a few words to describe our favorite Wes Anderson film. Three brothers travel to India in search of their mother. Of course the scenery is amazing, with backdrops of the Himalayas and Hindi temples, but the soundtrack is even better. Don't miss this one. || #india #adventure
As for the "must-see" list, here are the travel classics:
Where to find more great travel films...
Condé Nast Traveler's Top 50 Most Influential Films About Travel
Ask Men's Top 10: Movies That Take You On A Trip
The Guardian's 10 Best Films Set in Paris
OTSO New York's Top 100 NYC Films
What Culture's 10 Best Hollywood Films Set in Japan