Imagine working in a co-working space on an island, where it’s sunny and hot even in November and you can surf anytime you want. Sounds cool right?
That’s exactly how we started our madeinmoments.com journey. Starting on the 3rd of October we spent 5 weeks on the island of Gran Canaria in a co-working/living ("workation") space called Surf Office. It's an awesome place to get things done while having fun with new people.
If you’re planning a trip where you want to work and surf, don’t miss these lines and get inspired.
Surf Office is owned by a good friend and designer, Peter, who’s running it for a year now with his girlfriend, Hana. They're friendly people who will try to make your trip exciting and will show you a lot of cool stuff to do. Btw they just opened a second office in Santa Cruz, CA. Check it out>>
The office is located in the capital city Las Palmas, literally next to the beach. Apartments are just few meters from the office. Getting there is super easy! Orlando, a driver hired by Surf Office will have a sign with your name and everything at the airport.
Where you’ll be living:
The cozy apartment near the beach, which you will probably share with some other cool people from Surf Office, has fully equipped. No need to worry about not having space to cook, taking a shower or doing your laundry. Oh, and there's a cute little gift waiting for you when you arrive.
- We used to cook lunch almost everyday for 2-3 people to save some $green$. The supermarket is just 200m away, making it easy and cheap to cook anything you want.
- The cleaning lady comes once a week to change your towels and clean the kitchen/bathroom.
- If the internet will get really slow, just realize you’re on an island in the middle of the Atlantic :) It happens.
Surf Office working space:
Just walk 3 minutes from the apartment and you’re there. If you prefer working from home, no problem, but the biggest value of Surf Office is the working environment in a space full of digital nomads from around the world. We even presented our startup at a meet-up organized at the office and it brought us some cool new connections.
- Everyone at the office is working hard and you won’t believe how productive you can get next to these people.
- Find your best working routine and have some free time during the day to surf.
- Unfortunately, there’s no AC, but with a nice wind going through the office door, you can survive. Or just cool down with a drink of cold beer while you work :)
And what to do when not working?
There’s something happening every single day. Hana (Peter’s girlfriend) will give you suggestions every day for what you can do with other people form the office. You can almost always count on going out for some local food and drinks in the evening.
Every few days you can all go together to explore the island. We’ve been stand-up paddle boarding, hiking, exploring sand dunes, cycling to a small village for a fresh fish and sea food, on a tour of the local rum factory, and more.
And of course Surfing. Lessons can be booked through Surf Office with a local surfing school for those who are new to the sport.
- There are live concerts happening every Saturday night at a nearby beach bar called Mumbai. It's literally right around the corner from the office. The afterparty moves to a club area nearby called Mojo. Don’t miss it.
- For some tasty local food go to the old town on any day of the week (NOT Sundays). Foursquare ratings really worked for us, always helping us find amazing food (8+ rating).
- If you’re not a fan of dark volcanic sand, just walk down the promenade toward the hotels and there’s a nice yellow sandy beach with no waves.
- Make sure not to skip on any trips organized by Surf Office. It’s all worth it and you’ll have a great time.
*Tip: Dinner starts at 8:30. Keep this in mind when you arrive. Most restaurants are closed until this time. If you can't stand the hunger, eat a granola bar (or have a beer).
- Great places to eat in Las Palmas
- Sand Dunes and an LGBT-friendly Nude Beach
- How To Order A Smoothie In Spanish
- Agaete Natural Pools
- Southern Gran Canaria Caves
- Canarian Beers
- Hiking in Firgas